23rd annual Turkey Trot and food drive
Thursday, Nov. 23
- Springfield Expo Center, 635 E. St. Louis St.
For the past 22 years, hundreds of people in southwest Missouri have come together on Thanksgiving Day for Turkey Trot.
This fun Thanksgiving tradition doubles as a food drive, and has collected more than 85,500 pounds of food for The Food Bank since 2001. Last year’s race alone provided over 6,600 meals! Do your part by donating five nonperishable food items at the 5K starting at 8 a.m. on Nov. 23.
This year is the 23rd annual race, and you can help support nonprofits like Ozarks Food Harvest, Developmental Center of the Ozarks and The Park Board Scholarship Fund.
1) Register to run or walk. It’s $20 through 5 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 17, or $15 for kids 12 and under. Register at parkboard.org/turkeytrot or download a form to mail in.
2) On-site registration opens Wednesday, Nov. 22, 8 a.m.-5:30 p.m. at the Expo Center and continues 6:15-7 a.m. on race day. On-site registration is $30 for adults and $25 for children. Don’t forget your food donations on race day!
3) Volunteer to help collect food at the Expo, 635 E. St. Louis St., on Thanksgiving Day. Call Jo at OFH or go to ozarksfoodharvest.org/volunteer.
4) Donate your time the day prior or on race day to Turkey Trot at Packet Pick-Up. Call the Park Board at (417) 864-1049 to help!