Hunger Action Month 2018: Help Us Fight Hunger in September
Every September, food banks, advocacy groups and individuals from across the country unite to fight against hunger. It’s easy to get involved! Throughout the month, The Food Bank has a variety of events planned to help make a difference in southwest Missouri.
Hunger Action Day – Go Orange
- Hunger Action Day is September 13, and we love to see our partners go orange to raise awareness! Encourage your office or classroom to wear orange, and snap a photo of your group using #HungerActionMonth or #HungerHeroes.
- Hunger Action Month t-shirts will be available for purchase for $10 beginning August 1. Volunteers giving time in the month of September can purchase shirts for $5. Pick up your shirt at The Food Bank or order online. Each $10 shirt purchased will provide 20 meals for our hungry neighbors!
- Every hour of volunteer time provides more than 100 meals! Process donations, assemble Weekend Backpack bags and pack senior boxes at The Food Bank, or harvest produce with OFH’s Full Circle Gardens. Individuals and groups are welcome!
- Apply and self-schedule here.
Sponsor or attend an event
- Hungerthon, Sept. 7-10: This is our 20th year partnering with Kevin & Liz on 105.9 KGBX to support the Weekend Backpack Program. Become a matching sponsor by emailing Jennifer, or call in during the four-day radio-thon to sponsor a child.
- Tea Bar & Bites Apron Fashion Show, Sept. 20: Attend an evening of fun, fashion and food at the 5th annual Tea Bar & Bites Apron Fashion Show.
- Empty Bowls, Sept. 28: We are partnering with Panera Bread to offer a unique selection of locally handcrafted bowls in exchange for a donation.
Host a Food and Fund Drive
- $1 provides four meals! Host a drive with your school, church or business during the month of September.
- Online funds drives provide an easy way to invite employees, vendors and clients to donate. Consider setting a goal of raising $300 to sponsor a Weekend Backpack child for a full school of weekend meals.
- Include a Hunger Action Month call to action in your email signature, company intranet, buck slips or monthly billing. We are more than happy to help you craft a message and provide images.
- Book our conference room for an off-site meeting and follow it with a tour.
Do you have a creative idea to raise awareness during Hunger Action Month? Reach out to us!
Check back for even more information as September draws closer.